Monday, September 15, 2008

Every Once In a While

Every Once in a while I upload the pictures from my compact flash card to be pleasantly surprised by something I had forgotten I took. The other morning Lincoln was doing his usual "commando crawl" from the bathroom to his bedroom. His hair was tweaked just so and he was particularly mischievous. I grabbed my camera and decided to catch this seemingly insignificant morning on record.
It wasn't, however, so insignificant. He is growing so fast and I am SO happy I decided to get my camera when I did. I look back at these moments with amazement. How did my baby become a boy so quickly? When did he decide to go and grow up? Lincoln is on the very verge of toddler hood. He looks more and more like a boy and less and less like that little baby I brought home from the hospital every day. He will be one in a little over a month and as we prepare for this milestone in his life I find myself preparing for the milestones to come; when he learns to walk, read, ride a bike and the even bigger milestones; his first day of school (even though it will be at home), college, marriage and eventually becoming a father in his own right. I have to constantly remind myself that he is not mine, he is on loan and my job is NOT to hold him back out of selfishness but to push him to his full potential, to be the best christian soldier he can be and to let him go out on his own when the time comes... that time is coming too soon!

1 comment:

.kim.h. said...

OH
MY
GOODNESS.
It looks like a different, OLD kid with his hair like that. WOW! When did he get so big?????????????????