Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Lots of Learning

The past week has been, among other things, one big lesson in parenting. I now know what it is like to change plans spur of the moment, to be later than expected, and to be completely controlled by a little, teeny baby! Levi has given Linc the nick name "little Master" (from the Hobbit movie) because at this point in his life, and only at this point does Linc get exactly what he wants if we can figure it out. He is a good baby so we don't usually have unwarranted crying but as his awake time becomes longer and his activity level increases we have been stumped by his attempts to communicate several times. Levi does very well with it and can let him fuss if that is what Linc wants to do but I fall apart right along with my "Little Master". Last night as we laid Lincoln down for bed in his room for the first time I felt a little overwhelmed that he would be so far away and so helpless. He, of course started fussing (he has learned how to fight sleep by crying) when I put him down but we let him cry all the while I was sitting on the couch crying right along with him! I CAN'T stand to hear him cry but the American Academy of Pediatrics says crying is a part of every baby's day and so I allow him to exercise his lungs knowing that I can't do much to stop his crying because he needs to learn how to fall asleep on his own. It seems like from the time he was born he has been learning how to do things without me, which is of course the goal but it is already so hard to let him grow up that I can't imagine what it will be like when he leaves us to go to college or to get married. This parenting thing sure is the most wonderful and painful thing in the world!


We have been toting him around all over with us, hunting and visiting people. He does so well traveling that we don't even worry about going places, he just hangs out in his seat and takes in all the sites. We were planning a trip to New Mexico for thanksgiving but we did have to decide that, despite Lincoln's excellent traveling abilities, we just aren't ready for that big of a trip. 3 days in the car I am sure would ruin our great traveling record! And so we are staying here for Thanksgiving but we have planned a trip for January and have already booked plane tickets so we ARE going to New Mexico then.
I am definitely not a pro photographer yet! BUT I think Linc already has his dad's ability to pose for the camera!!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I LOVE the twin snarls!! Hee hee.
Love,
Jamie :0)

Anonymous said...

What can I say, "Like father, like son" or "The Apple didn't fall far from the Tree!" Have fun with the "Little Master" - can't wait to see everyone in person. Sorta' like watching Tami & Naomi.

Jessica said...

You can't explain that tug at your heart until you hear your own little one cry! He is "Link'd" to your heart...that's how God made him...and you!! It is the most awesome, humbling, wonderful, hardest rewarding and exhausting job...being a good mom!! :) You are doing soooo good and I'm sooo proud of you! You will reap the rewards...if not now, they will be soon to come!! Blessings to you!!