Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ready to plant...






Our garden is one step away from officially being ready to plant. As soon as the ground dries enough to till it up one more time we will commence planting. Of what you might ask? Oh man!! We just got our last few seeds in the mail today and I am thrilled. We are going to have sweet peas, corn, carrots, kale, broccoli, squash, sunflowers, chives, garlic, gourds, peppers, melons, a lettuce blend, celery, rhubarb, asparagus, and spinach on top of our already bountiful berries!


My seed storage system;

That is assuming all goes as planned and NOT like last year ;0) Remember last year's half inch corn cobs, one inch carrots and the bush beans that produced all of 10 beans? Well we have worked hard to get our soil up to snuff and this year is the big test.


You can see the kelp tubes and manure all over the garden waiting to be tilled in;

We will be using about two thirds of our garden space leaving one third to work on the chicken coup/goat shed/bunny hut to be constructed this summer... EEK! I am so excited! Levi has that plan all dreamed out and it will work as a storage and goat pen on one side and a hen house for easy egg collecting in the middle with the chicken and bunny hut opening into the garden. It will be awesome! Since we are hoping on a big harvest I was thinking about selling some dried fruit and seeds as well as fresh produce at our farmers market but we'll se about that. I guess I have to plant, tend, grow and harvest stuff first :0)


P.S. - here is a layout so you can see a little better where things are going to be (the boxes in the lower right corner are the chickens and bunnies);

3 comments:

.kim.h. said...

is that linc in that bottom pic? did he get a haircut? and where do you get your seeds? will you come to my house next and plant my garden? i'm always looking to hire preggo help. ;)

Ashley said...

Yep we shaved Linc's head! I can't get a good pic of him but you can link over to my sister's blog to see some recent pics she just posted of him with a lot less hair. We cut like 4 inches!!

Cheryl said...

You are insane and where did you come from. I will take some pics of my garden design and show you my seeds on my blog later today, You are amazing how organized you are. Must of got it from your dad, for surely not me.This will be fun my first garden in NM and your first real try in OR. I am hunting Kale seeds tell me where you found yours. Love you mom