Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I am OFF!

I lay in the living room floor soaking up the heat from the hot fire place in a feeble attempt to build up enough energy to mosey into the bathroom, take out my domestic diva pink rubber gloves and my pale of cleaning supplies ready to embark on yet another cleaning spree when suddenly the sound of tires grinding on the coarse, 3/4 minus gravel of our driveway rang out in my ears. "Could it be?" I thought to myself, the package complete with camera bag and 2GB compact flash drive that shouldn't arrive until Thursday so says amazon.com, here at last!? I sprung from the floor as if all the energy of my son Lincoln was suddenly transposed onto my somewhat frail 24 year old bones. Running, ever so giddy, I peaked through the kitchen and the dust covered window that seemed to be the only thing to separate me and the images pent up in my head of what photographs were to come. JOY!! Out the door I flew to the delivery man in his circa 1990 Jeep Cherokee. "Thank you, Thank you, I have been waiting for this I exclaimed". I could tell my excitement was unexplained and overwhelming for the unsuspecting messenger. But no time to waste explaining the suspense that had kept me awaiting the arrival of this package and the fortune of being the one to deliver, seemingly, such happiness to one individual without that particular intent. Back through the door I rushed ripping at the package as if I were possessed by the spirit of a 5 year old on Christmas morning. Out I pulled the bag first... soft and luxurious, oh how I love bags but this one in particular, adorned with a soft and exquisite faux suede. I hadn't even expected such a nice bag! Then the compact flash card. To most this would not bring such amusement and excitement but I have had a wonderful, speedy, complex and yet ever so simple Canon Rebel 350XT for a little over a week now with NO ability to capture even the most simple moment of everyday life! Agony!! The power in this little chip would connect the everyday with forever, transforming one moment in time into a piece of history documented by yours truly. At last, I could document all of the wonderful images that I knew capable of my little black, metal and plastic baby (sorry, no name yet!). So I set off to document only to find the center of my infatuation to be napping, so sweetly, in his crib. I couldn't wake him for such temporary satisfaction for fear that it would be just that temporary then would come the furry that is Lincoln when he becomes sleep deprived! So Levi, sitting intently with his nose in a book suddenly turned into this bright, glowing target! SNAP, SNAP! A perfect symphony of mechanical music filled my Eustachian tubes penetrating deep into my soul and causing the hairs on my arms to stand on end. I had captured, what surely would be the image to set me in the direction of obsession;



Once the capture of images had began I again ran through the door. A heavy, soaking dew had begun to fall from the never ending grey sky. I knew I had to be quick as to protect the mechanism of my elation from being rendered irreparable by rain. So SNAP, SNAP! then again, SNAP, SNAP! Around the yard I flew as I captured all of the images that one and a half weeks worth of scouting could produce. That beautiful plum tree in full bloom and those little insignificant droplets of rainwater that lay in rest upon the long and sleek leaves of the my day lilly, I had never eve noticed them in such depth until now. Now I desired to see every little, last detail. Now I wanted to capture the exact intricacies that created the bloom and the droplet. I stopped to thank God for such creations and amazing beauty. Wow! What a journey I have embarked upon!!




Edit....... I have added a unedited photography album so that I can post all of my weird practice shots for any and all to look at.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

WOW!! If these are your first attempts, I can't WAIT to see what comes!!! I loved your "night before Christmas"-esque entry. ;0) Very fun. But what on earth is Eustachian or whatever?! Soooo excited for you!!! I expect to see at least 500 more pics posted by this time tomorrow... ;0)
Love,
Jamie :0)

.kim.h. said...

OH
MY
GOODNESS.
HILARIOUS, YOU ARE.

Amber Allen said...

Congratulations! It's like you've had your 2nd child! :) You are hilarious! I love you!

Anonymous said...

My, my - "cleaning diva", mother, wife, writer, photgrapher - you lead such a wide and varied life! Have fun with the newest member of your family.....;0)

Jessica said...

I can TOTALLY see you!!! Oh my goodness you are hysterical!! I am soo happy for you and can't wait to see another photography addict begin her journey!! A nice camera makes a huge difference!! :)