Monday, July 4, 2011

Harris "Farm"


If you've followed the adventures of Harris "Farm" otherwise know as the Harris House of Death you'll know that our ability to raise livestock has well, resulted in dead stock 9 out of 10 times. We try, we manage for a few days and then bam! Disappointment. Life is fragile? I guess more so than I ever thought :) At any rate Harris "Farm" is now back up and running more efficiently thus far than ever! We ordered 45 chicks from McMurray Hatchery and so far we've only lost two! That's REALLY great for us! We've got 24 meat birds that will be butchered and 21 egg layers (I think that's right). We've also inherited, for a short while, our neighbors six doorper sheep. They're so much fun and they all have their own personality! This little guy is "bucky". 
 

 He was rejected by the herd at birth so he was bottle fed and loves people. He's since been accepted by the other five sheep but he's still really friendly. The other five are so funny. There's big momma' who talks all the time, two other Ewes and a lamb plus Haas. He's the big male. He's a little bit intimidating but just as nice as the rest of them.


The busy farmer :) Levi has been working his tail off. While I was in NM he and his parents completed the outside of the chicken/goat house, laid new concrete, planted my garden, tractor-ed some dirt, and managed to go fishing and play just a little here and there. It was quite the list of projects to complete in just two weeks!

We just moved all the chicks into the coup for the first night and they all survived! Now we just have to fix the inside, get nesting boxes and whatnot created, partition the goat coral and make a few storage shelves. 
Our little "Farm" is really coming together! I love having all these things to watch and the boys are great helpers. They are very comfortable with the chicks and Bear is in love with the sheep. I frequently find him at the fence baaa-ing at them. They speak his language apparently!

No comments: