Sunday, April 17, 2011

Easter is coming!

We've been fully enjoying this Easter season with lots of fun projects, crafts and special things to help us think about Jesus. I thought I would share a few of our favorites so far;

Resurrection rolls;
I used crescent rolls from the store and we took mini marshmallows (representing Jesus :), dipped them in melted butter (for the oils they placed on his body), rolled them in cinnamon and sugar (for the spices placed on his body), then we rolled them up inside the crescent roll and baked them. Lincoln and his buddy stood guard over the oven while they cooked like the Roman soldiers.When they came out of the oven they were completely hollow just like Jesus' tomb! It's great and tasty :)

Rez the Rock that Rolled;
This is my favorite kids Easter video. It's from the God Rocks series and I love all of them. This video is a bit intense as it goes over the whole Easter story including the fighting in the garden and the crucifixion (tastefully and age appropriate) but the conversations I have had with Lincoln and now with our little home school group since watching it have been amazing!

Build a "tomb";
Today we whipped out the 'ol blanket fort and instead of just playing, in an attempt to make our play more meaningful all of the time, we made a "tomb" and tried act out the Easter story with teddy bear's and our home made swords. It was pretty cute!



And just a funny side note, the other day while Linc and I were making some things for a friends baby shower Linc looked up at me and said " momma, I was in your belly for three days and then I CAME OUT!". HA! I think he is crossing the baby shower I've been working on with all of this Easter talk :) So cute!

We've got a couple more things coming up for Easter including our yearly Galilean Breakfast, making resurrection eggs and a rock hunt to see if we can find a rock as big as the one that sealed the tomb (really it's just going to be a nice excuse to go on a hike but I do think the boys will really enjoy the tombstone thing since our theme for home school this month is rocks). Easter is my favorite time of year and the boys have really been loving it too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such a wonderful Mom!! I'm sure you make God smile everday knowing your boys (and other kiddos) are being taught the TRUTH - Love you ;0)