Saturday, June 27, 2009

Relay for Life



I went to the relay for life with Linc, my buddy I told you all about with Breast cancer and her family today. It was a moving experience! Before we all headed out there though, I got "the call" this morning that her hair was falling out and it was time to shave it she said. She asked if I would come and take some pictures of the big event and help her not cry through it... UG! Luckily my very off beat sense of humor worked it's charm and we all managed to get through it giggling and seemingly having a good time. Her hubby did the deed and had fun making interesting designs in her gorgeous hair before finishing it off and once it was done we were all amazed at how perfect her head is! Ya' know some people just can't pull off bald but she CAN! Then she went and got her new wig and convinced me that wigs are the way to go! It is the cutest, most perfect hair I have ever seen and she doesn't have to do it every morning or anything. So stinkin' cool! It is adorable on her!!
My buddy is doing good, pluggin along through all the chemo induced fatigue and the other side effects. Her smile hasn't dimmed one bit! Her firends down here have been amazing, showering her with food and offering to help out whenever, where ever they can. It has been so comforting to watch. She hasn't let all the advice the doctors gave her keep her down, she has been out and living life almost just like before the chemo. I worry about her but she knows her limits and knows what is good for her. She doesn't sit still very well :0)

So after all that hair business we went to the relay and a man from our weekly Bible study was the grand Marshal and his wife won an award. They are an amazing couple and despite his failing health and grave prognosis they advocate for cancer awareness with strength and courage. It was moving to watch them give their speech which always makes me cry... it's just so sad what cancer does to people. After that the relay began! It was kind of a last minute deal this year. I scrambled to find out some information for my buddy so that she could take part but next year we decided we are going to do it up! They have a pageant, themed tents and the relay runs all night while everyone camps out. It's gonna' be fun and hopefully we won't even be thinking about her battling cancer. Hopefully that will all be behind her and she can celebrate survival and God's gift of life! I took off, me and my giant belly, around the 1.5 mile marker but they stayed and did 3 MILES! I am so proud of her and her amazingly optomistic, encouraging attitude. She is just awesome!!

2 comments:

Amber Allen said...

Way to go Ashley!! Love you lots!

Anonymous said...

Let Aimee know she's in the prayers of everyone at BRBC. Love you guys.
TC